Carli 4.5" Super Duty Unchained 3.0 Suspension System
The "Next Level" of Super Duty Performance Suspension!
Meet the Unchained; designed and tuned as a no-compromise on and off-road suspension. Starting with the biggest shocks that can safely fit without extensive modifications, we integrated all major suspension components into one, monolithic offroad machine. Offering dramatic improvements in vehicle stability means a controlled and stable on road ride with unmatched damping for the off road enthusiast. To maximize the full potential of this system, it comes standard with our Full Progressive Leaf Springs and Stainless Shock Shafts from King for long life in hostile environments. The Unchained System was designed for skilled, experienced drivers with considerable seat time in a heavy-duty vehicle driven in offroad environments. This system is NOT for Novice Off-Roaders and we recommend a full cab roll-cage be installed prior to searching out the capability of this system. All the above performance is packed into a bolt-on (fully returnable to stock) suspension system.
This system uses all of the proven parts from their other kits like the progressive rate 4.5" coils, fabricated radius arm drop brackets and crossmember, stainless steel extended brakelines, and so on. So teaming those parts with the new coil bucket/shock mount and rear shock mounts they have created a foundation to step up the shock game quite a bit. Carli has been doing some extensive tuning on the King 3.0 Piggy Back shocks to make your truck a true beast in the dirt yet ride phenominal on the street.
To further ensure the best overall street ride and off road performance, this system comes with the Carli/Deaver ful replacement leafs. These increase the rear travel, soften the ride, and all but eliminate wheel hop as they do away with the factory lift blocks altogether.
If you’re looking for the best on road ride we offer with a huge boost in off-road capability, grab a Dominator. If you’re after a suspension that will allow more off-road performance than the chassis to which it’s bolted, this is your huckleberry. With the Unchained Suspension System, we recommend a roll cage and axle truss. This system is far more capable off-road than even the Coilover-Bypass System.
For those unfamiliar, a bypass shock has external tubes with one-way check valves that are fully adjustable to allow users to tailor the amount of fluid that bypasses the piston/valving on either the compression or rebound stroke within the effective range of the bypass tube. Typically, there will be a tube surrounding the compression zone at ride height that will allow fluid to freely move around the piston giving a supple ride. Once a large hit is encountered, the piston will move upward closing off the port, thereby forcing all fluid through the valving which substantially increases the shock’s resistance in this secondary zone. This acts as an internal bump-stop of sorts and gives tunable progression to the shock making it the perfect dual purpose setup.
Conversely, on the rebound side, we normally spec tubes that are oversized and deep in the travel stroke to allow a high volume of oil to bypass ensuring the shock shaft comes out quick enough to maintain contact with the ground (doesn’t get hung-up in the bump-zone after a large hit). As the shock extends and closes off the rebound tube, all the valving on the rebound side engages to slow the shaft as it reaches maximum extension, top-out. Simply put, the larger the shock diameter, the more capable the setup; the more tubes and “zones”, the more adjustability; the larger the tubes, the more fluid can flow around the piston and the more valving you can run to increase the stopping power in the “bump-stop” or “top-out” zone.
The truck will sit 4.5” higher in the front and have more wheel travel thanks to the taller, Progressive Rate Coil Springs that mount into the Fabricated Carli Spring Buckets. Radius Arm Drop Brackets reset the pivot point and keep the travel linear for the best ride while Sway Bar Links or Drop Brackets reset the sway bar engagement point. The included Bump Stop Drops protect the shocks from over-compressing while the Adjustable Track Bar centers the front axle and Stainless Brake Lines firm up braking and ensure there is enough line for the newfound travel. To round off the front end, we include Caster Shims to tighten the steering.
The rear is outfitted with a Full Progressive Spring Pack requiring no block to achieve proper ride height; thus, travel is extended and wheel hop/axle wrap minimized at the cost of 15% less load capacity than a stock F250. If capacity is a concern, we offer Long Travel Airbags to restore the payload capacity to that of a SRW F350.
This system boasts Carli Signature tuned, King 3.0” 2-Tube Front and 4-Tube Rear Piggy-Back Bypass Shocks so large, we needed to fabricate custom mounts to fit them; as the old adage goes, there’s no replacement for displacement. The 3.0” shock has a piston surface area 45% greater than a 2.5” King and 126% larger than a factory 2.0” shock making it far more efficient in all situations. Additionally, as explained above, we’ve added bypass tubes to this pinnacle off-road system. The massive surface area and bypass tubes ensure we can achieve unmatched off-road performance while offering a civil & controlled on-road ride. To fit these shocks, we provide fabricated mounts that lift the upper mounting point and position the shock away from the frame while the standard bump stop extensions were shortened to allow for more up-travel to compliment the additional down-travel from the longer shock. In an effort to provide customers with the best product, we designed a custom piston to determine proper base flow rates to ensure the shock works well in the heavy duty truck platform; we then tuned the shocks based on seat-of-the-pants feel. We round off ALL our King shocks with shafts machined and polished from a solid piece of 17-4 Stainless. Unlike King’s standard shafts, there is no coating to wear off, weather is far less likely to hurt them and if there is a small chip, you can round the edges with emery cloth to ensure the seal housing isn’t damaged as they’re not brittle like the stock, hardened shafts. The shocks are finished with King oil good to -55° F. Note that all King shocks are built with a plated steel body. If subjected to inclement weather for extended periods, we recommend wrapping your shocks in 3M to provide a moisture barrier that’s replaceable.
Aesthetically, there will be one huge bypass shock at each corner. The purpose for which the truck’s being built should be a huge consideration when purchasing the Unchained. On Road, it’s great; Off-Road, extreme caution should be taken as this system is far more capable than the truck. Being bypass equipped, customers can expect to hear clicking from the opening and closing of the check valves in the external tubes of the shocks. On the bright side, the suspension is tuned by Carli but fully adjustable to the customer’s preference. Customers can turn tubes for more float and ride comfort or engage more valving for better control and off-road performance. From Carli, these shocks are setup with a wide open rebound and neutral compression; we also provide a recommended tuning spec.
As with the Coilover Bypass, it’s recommended that users purchase a Differential Guard for axle protection, High Mount Steering Stabilizer to keep the steering as controlled as the suspension and Fabricated Radius Arms for strength and Limit Strap mounting. Again, at this level of suspension, a roll cage and axle truss is also recommended if the system will be used to its full off-road potential. On our 4.5” Bypass equipped Ford Systems, we recommend 17”-18” wheels, no more than 9” wide with 4.5”-5” of backspacing with a 37”, E-Rated Tire. The more rubber, the better the small bump compliance will be at proper inflation pressures. The ride will firm up as you go larger in wheel diameter.
- Superior Ride Quality
- Very Controlled Off Road
- Increased Cornering Capability
- Reducing and/or Eliminating Body Roll
- Tighter street feel Driving Characteristics, Increased Suspension Response
- Steering geometry is all within OEM specs, no additional components are necessary
- Bolt On Performance!
- CS-F45-UC30-11 | 11-16 F250 / F350 4x4 (Old Part Number: CS-FORDD3.0-BYP-4.5-11)
- CS-F45-UC30-08 | 08-10 F250 / F350 4x4 (Old Part Number: CS-FORDD3.0-BYP-4.5-08)
- CS-F45-UC30-05 | 05-07 F250 / F350 4x4 (Old Part Number: CS-FORDD3.0-BYP-4.5-05)
*Rear Driveshaft must be checked for 1 piece or 2 piece units. It is recommended that 2 piece driveshafts order a carrier bearing drop, PN# CS-CARRIERDROP-F, $35
Wheel/Tire Fitment info- Due to the large 3" shock and the large attached reservoir It is recommended to run a wheel with 4.5-5" backspace. With wide 37's like Toyo MT's you will still get a little rubbing on the shock reservoir but it won't hurt anything.
- Front KING 3.0, 2-Tube Bypass Piggyback Shocks with extended Bump Zone
- Rear KING 3.0, 4-Tube Bypass Piggyback Shocks with Oversized Rebound
- 17-4 Stainless Steel Shafts Are Standard On This System
- Fabricated Coil Bucket Mounting Kit
- Rear HD Replacement Upper Shock Mounts
- Carli 4.5" Multi-Rate Coil Springs
- Radius Arm Drop Bracket Kit with Dimple Die Cross Member
- Sway Bar End links (2011+ kits use sway bar drop brackets instead)
- Adjustable Track Bar
- Front And Rear Bumpstop Drops
- Extended Braided Stainless Brake Lines
- Caster Adjustment Shims
Altered Vehicle Characteristics:
- 4.5" of Lift on the Front
- 2.5" of Lift on the Rear*
- Vehicle is "Leveled"*
- 12.0" of Front Wheel Travel
- 13.0" of Rear Wheel Travel
Recommended Wheel and Tire Combination:
- 37" tires on 17" or 18" wheels for the best ride and performance
- 8.5-9" wide wheels with 5" backspace will require a little trimming but will clear the factory radius arms
- 8.5-9" wide wheels with 5.5-5.75" will clear the aftermarket Carli Radius Arms with most 37" tires
- For most E-rated tires we suggest running 40-45psi front and 30-35psi rear when not towing/hauling really heavy
- Wheels - Carli Recommends a 17"-18" Wheel, no more than 9" wide with 5" of Backspacing on 4.5" Lift Systems.
- Tires - 37", E-Rated Tire Fitment is Recommended. Recommended unloaded Tire Pressure 45F/40R.
- Recommended Configuration - Carli 4.5" Systems are Designed and Tested on Vehicles with 17"-18" Wheels with 37", E-Rated Tires. Stock wheels and tires or running a larger wheel diameter will result in a stiffer ride.
- Leaf Springs - Full Replacement Leaf Spring Option Requires NO BLOCKS to achieve level Stance.
Full Leaf Notes:
Choosing the full leafs will offer a better street ride, further decrease wheel hop, and eliminate the need for a rear lift block altogether.
Full Leaf Shipping Info - If you are choosing the full leaf upgrade we will need you to provide an address that accepts freight truck deliveries as the kit will ship on a pallet. Please contact us if you have any questions about shipping.
05-10 Sway Bar Options
- CS-FEL-05 OR CS-FEL-08 - Sway Bar End Links
- Easy Bolt-On
- Heavy Wall Material
- Excellent Articulation
- Ford Extended End Link for 4.5" Suspension System
2011-2016 Sway Bar Options
- CS-SBD - Sway Bar Drop
- Drops entire sway bar brackets for proper geometry
- 3/16" Steel Plate gusseted for utmost strength
- Black Powdercoat
- Grade 8 Hardware
Rear Lift Options
Although it is possible to order this kit without this option, it is HIGHLY recommended that you do choose this options in order for this kit to perform as expected.
- CS-FFSP-(08, 11) - Full Progressive Leaf Spring Pack
- Block eliminating, Full Progressive Spring Pack
- Includes new U-Bolts and Rear Bump Stop Drops
- Provides a 1", rear high stance on Matching 2.5" Leveling Suspension Systems
- 35" Tire Fitment
Radius Arm Option
- CS-FFRA-05 - Radius Arms for 4.5in Lifts
- For 4.5" Systems
- 1° of Caster correction engineered into arm
- Internal Gusseting
- Limit Straps Included
- 1/2" Additional Tire Clearance
- Huge Johnny Joint at Frame Connection for longevity and bind free Cycling
Carrier Bearing Drop
- CS-CARRIERDROP-F - Carrier Bearing Drop
- Carrier Bearing Drop for 4.5" Suspension Systems with 2-piece rear driveshaft
- 4 SHIMS, 2 Bolts 1/2" x 2", 2 nuts, 4 washers.
- Fitment: 2005-2016
Shipping Info - This system ships on a pallet so we will need you to provide an address that accepts freight truck deliveries. Let us know if you need any help with this.